Without a doubt the smell of mint is one of the most universally recognized and loved scents of all. At SallyeAnder, we know this well. Some of our most beloved products are those that include spearmint and/or peppermint in some form. It is said that even if you were blindfolded in a garden, your nose would draw you right to mint!
Mint is a hardy plant native to Europe and Asia, and there are hundreds of mint varieties. They spread quickly and become abundant, and grow in both cool and warm climates. The two most common varieties are peppermint and spearmint. At SallyeAnder we use spearmint and peppermint essential oils in many of our products.
In aromatherapy, spearmint and peppermint essential oils are considered top notes, meaning that when added to a blend of essential oils, they are an essence’s first perceptible scent. Renowned American perfumer Mandy Aftel, describes top notes as “easy to like, familiar, uncomplicated, strong but not heavy [...] they embody the experience of lightness…” While both spearmint and peppermint are powerful, refreshing and uplifting, peppermint is a little more stimulating and energetically cooling, while spearmint is slightly warming.
Both varieties are wonderful in hot weather, refreshing and cooling when added to sun teas, chilled soups, and salads. In cold weather, their presence helps uplift the spirits, and is a classic presence in holiday candy and baked goods. And since it’s officially summertime, find our recipe below for a chilled sun tea of spearmint and hibiscus which is, in our opinion, a quintessential summer drink. So easy to make, and so, so refreshing!
Perhaps our customers’ number one favorite essential soap is our Milk and Mint bar. Their faces light up at the slightest whiff of it, including children! They often tell us it smells so delicious they could eat it (yeah, we get it! But please don’t!).
Here’s a list of SallyeAnder products infused with spearmint essential oil:
- Milk & Mint Essential Soap
- Sunshine Essential Soap
- Green Tea Essential Soap
- Eucalyptus Mint Shave Bar
- Red Clay & Henna Shampoo Bar
- Green Tea & Jasmine Complexion Bar
- Heavy-duty Hand Therapy Cream
- “No-Bite-Me” Bug-Repellent Cream
- Baby Balm
- Candy Cane Lip balm
- Winter Ice Lip balm
Infused with peppermint essential oil:
- Heavy Duty Foot Therapy Cream
- Candy Cane Lip Balm
- Tea Tree & Lemon Lip Balm
Mint & Hibiscus Sun Tea
- 1 small bunch of fresh mint (we especially love spearmint for this one, but any mint will do)
- 1 ounce dried hibiscus
- 1 lemon or lime, sliced
- Raw honey, to taste (optional)
- Combine all ingredients with 1.5 quarts of water in a lidded jar. Place it in the sun for 1-3 hours.
- Strain and if using, add honey and mix well. Store in the fridge for later or serve immediately with ice.